[kepler-users] Installing Kepler on Lion: finding R

Karin Nadrowski Leipzig nadrowski at uni-leipzig.de
Mon Feb 6 06:21:57 PST 2012

Adding new paths to the environment.plist solves the problems below. My file now looks like this:

{
        PATH = "$PATH:/usr/local/Cellar/r/2.14.0/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin";
}

It seems to me, that the beginning ($PATH) is not understood by the execution of environment.plist, so that I had to copy from the terminal what is given with
> echo $PATH
and then copy paste it to the environment.plist

Cheers, Karin.

On Feb 6, 2012, at 14:18 PM, Karin Nadrowski Leipzig wrote:

> Unfortunately manipulating the environment.plist screws up a whole lot other applications, including my Aquamacs - R functioning (X11 does not start, the help does not start), and the Word Plugin of Mendeley (it does not execute).
>
> There is a web page saying that environment.plist does not work with applications launched from spotlight, this applies to all applications launched from the application folder also, I guess.
>
> http://www.digitaledgesw.com/node/31
>
> So the solution given so far does not work for me. As soon as I rename the environment.plist file, the other software are functioning fine again.
>
> Best, Karin.
>

> On Jan 26, 2012, at 10:08 AM, Karin Nadrowski wrote:
>
>> Dear Jing,
>>
>> thanks, it's running now.
>>
>> I used the following commands, as I'm not so fluent with vim:
>> $>mkdir .MacOSX
>> $>touch .MacOSX/environment.plist
>> $>pico .MacOSX/environment.plist
>>
>> Not sure, where to send the mail so that it reaches the archive for others
>> to read.
>>
>> Best, Karin.

Dr. Karin Nadrowski