[seek-taxon] Meeting Planning AHM and NSF Review

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Wed Apr 19 07:50:10 PDT 2006

During a SEEK-EXEC conference call yesterday afternoon (4/18), these
relevant points arose wrt the AHM meeting (May 2-5) and the NSF review
meeting (Wed, June 7).

AHM

Tuesday May 2, Taxon will meet as a breakout group all day.  I propose
that we spend some of this time finalizing the contents of our
PowerPoint presentation.

Wednesday, May 3, AHM plenary all day, with practice PowerPoint
presentations for the NSF review from each of the subgroups, Taxon has
20 minutes maximum (ca. 15 slides), may be 10 minutes (ca. 8 slides) if
NSF changes the schedule.

Thursday, May 4.  Because, out second Taxon meeting day has been
supplanted by the plenary on Wednesday, I propose that we reserve until
noon on Thursday to discuss any remaining issues left over from our
Monday discussions.

Friday May 5, Executive Committee meeting all day, Taxon at leisure,
free to go.

NSF Review

Aimee Stewart and I have been asked to present the 20 to 10 minute Taxon
talk.  I have not given the structure of the talk much thought, but I
might suggest that we interleave slides from the various subprojects
within Taxon and present the story as:

1) Biological problem statement (ambiguity of taxonomic names, their use
and application)
2) Computer Science/Informatics problem statement (description,
representation, modeling, communication, interoperability)
3) Combined Solution Statement (TOS, TCS, Concept Mapper, Future
Outreach, spin-offs, extensions and connections to broader efforts,
etc.)

Jessie -- You mentioned two calls back that you were working on a
presentation outline for another conference and that you were going to
send a suggested outline for SEEK-Taxon's NSF presentation.  Did I miss
that?

Posters.  It was decided that in addition to the 7 core posters from
SEEK, that additional posters of SEEK-related work would be acceptable
for display at the NSF review.  The posters will be visible late in the
day during the final session which will include wine and beer and 4 seek
demos, all in an hour and a half after a long day of presentations and
Q&A. In my view, given the schedule, the posters may or not be noticed
all that much by the 6 or so reviewers.  But nevertheless, the posters a
deemed important to a good overall presentation.

Matt would like to have posters in good shape for the AHM, which means
that we will need material from UNC and Napier by Monday or Tuesday of
next week.

The PowerPoint slide template is here:
http://cvs.ecoinformatics.org/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/seek/docs/site-r
eview-2006/slides-template-2006-05-02.ppt
<http://cvs.ecoinformatics.org/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/seek/docs/site-
review-2006/slides-template-2006-05-02.ppt>

(We will be changing the KU logo on these, but otherwise its finished).

The poster template for the SEEK Taxon poster is here:

http://cvs.ecoinformatics.org/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/seek/docs/site-review-2006/
SEEKlayout.ppt

Guidelines:
http://cvs.ecoinformatics.org/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/seek/docs/site-review-2006/