[SEEK-Taxon] RE: LC/TCS - How many schemas?

B.J.Tindall bti at dsmz.de
Wed Mar 2 02:57:42 PST 2005

Dear All,
In an earlier e-mail Nico mentioned the Hawksworth's 1994 Bionomenclature
Glossary, as well as Codes. One additional difficulty is that behind the
same term may be hidden different concepts. This applies, in particular, to
the Bacteriological Code concept of "valid publication" which (unlike the
ICBN) incorporates an act of registration. Why is this important? Well back
in the 1960's somewhere between 30,000 to 40,000 names of bacteria were
collected together and the experts asked which ones were to be retained.
The result was about 1,800 species names (combinations) being retained,
with the rest being unambiguously thrown overboard. This even applied to
homotypic synonyms which had been applied earlier in the chain of changing
taxonomic opinion.

The problem which now surfaces is that, after 25 years, those names which
we would certainly no longer use or those which we would prefer to forget
about are re-surfacing:
a) via the older literature being made available online
b) by databases which simply list all the names they can find

this sounds a little like Walter's "normal murky name as used by many
databases out there, where no further definition of concept etc. is given."
However, there is no need for this level of uncertainty. While bacteriology
already has lists of protected names and registered/indexed names, the
current flood of names is undermining that system, especially when there is
no clear and unambiguous reference to the relevance of that name to the
Bacteriological Code. This is certainly a work in hand in botany and
zoology, but we already have that information.

We discussed this problem at length at a meeting at GBIF in January. I had
the impression that I had been understood. I know that Paul would advocate
that one list all names, but this would only cause further confusion if
those names which "have no standing in bacterial nomenclature" are not
clearly identified as such (i.e. nomenclatural corpses). This is a
situation which is unique to virology and bacteriology.

This also links into Paul's e-mail - we can clearly identify those names
which may be without a type or where the protologue was so vague as to be
of no use, etc. This is why such names were abandoned.

Brian

At 08:35 2.3.2005 -0000, Kennedy, Jessie wrote:
>Hi Walter
>
>Just for clarification...
>do you mean you want to identify something with a name as per LC rather
than the name of a concept as per TCS?
>I thought we had strong agreement in Christchurch that it was menaingless
to identify something to a name and it would be more appropriate to be
identified to a concept (name) - but this doens't mean you have to include
the definition of the concept - only enough to uniquely identify the
concept which of course the scientific name  doesn't do, as we all know.
>A name as per LC has no definition except at at a push the type specimen.
>
>thanks,
>
>Jessie

* Dr.B.J.Tindall      E-MAIL bti at dsmz.de                           *
* Vice Chairman of the ICSP Judicial Commission                    *
* DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen GmbH *
* Mascheroder Weg 1b, D-38124 Braunschweig, Germany                *
* Tel.: ++ 531 2616 0 (general)                                    *
* Tel.: ++ 531 2616 224 (direct)                                   *
* Fax:  ++ 531 2616 418                                            *
* Homepage: http://www.dsmz.de/index.html                          *
* E-MAIL: contact at dsmz.de (general enquiries)                      *
*         sales at dsmz.de (sales)                                    *