[SEEK-Taxon] RE: LC/TCS - How many schemas?

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk
Wed Mar 2 00:35:45 PST 2005

Hi Walter

Just for clarification...
do you mean you want to identify something with a name as per LC rather than the name of a concept as per TCS?
I thought we had strong agreement in Christchurch that it was menaingless to identify something to a name and it would be more appropriate to be identified to a concept (name) - but this doens't mean you have to include the definition of the concept - only enough to uniquely identify the concept which of course the scientific name  doesn't do, as we all know.
A name as per LC has no definition except at at a push the type specimen.

thanks,

Jessie