[SEEK-Taxon] RE: LC/TCS - How many schemas?

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Wed Mar 2 03:21:05 PST 2005

Recalling the old addage that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder', and wearing my pedants hat let me repeat the following. The only fully justified use of a scientific name (of a species) is in the context of reference to the name bearing type. Hence all homotypic names should, other things being equal, carry the same concept. This is one part of what LC is about because the concept doesn't have to be defined. All other uses of that name (i.e. not with reference to the name bearing type) are sensu that name by the user. For example, Jessie and Walter are Homo sapiens sensu Kirk 2005 ;-) One of my 'fears' of TCS is that however elegantly we model 'Kirk 2005' it's about as useful as an underwater hair drier and my 'fear' is that 99.9999% of the concepts we model are of equal use.

Let me repeat again, taxonomy (concept articulation) comes before nomenclature. With this in mind the question Jessie poses to Walter is a non question. From the above a scientific name absolutely does have a concept - that articulated by the author of the name in the protologue and based on the name bearing type! Assuming we restrict our discussions to fact and exclude fiction.

The 'except at a push' is one of the main cornerstones of nomenclatural stability - it cannot be considered so lightly.

I guess that's all for now ...

Regards,

Paul