[kepler-dev] Can we create ordinary java component with out using kepler source code?

Rajan Saminathan rajsaminathan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 22:43:36 PDT 2009

Dear Sir,

    I am not using kepler and ptolemy source code to create component. i am
creating component using java code. not using kepler or ptolemy source
code. Could i integrate that component into kepler with out using kepler
source code?  and Could i run that component in kepler execute engine
without calling any function from kepler or ptolemy.

--
Thank You!

With Regards,
        Rajan S.
On 6/29/09, Chad Berkley <berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu> wrote:

> Hi Rajan,
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by ordinary java component.  Just a class file?
>  A ptolemy (non-kepler) actor?  The answer to both of those is, yes, you can
> use them in Kepler.  As Edward said, if you want to use an existing java
> class in Kepler, you'd need to somehow wrap it in a Kepler (or ptolemy)
> component so that it could be used in a workflow.  If you mean a ptolemy
> actor, then we have lots of ptolemy actors that work in Kepler.  In fact,
> most of the actors in Kepler are regular ptolemy actors.  If you give me a
> few more details about what you want to do, I can point you in the right
> direction.
>
> thanks,
> chad
>

> Edward A. Lee wrote:
>

>> Rajan Saminathan wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Sir,
>>>
>>> Can we create ordinary java component with out using kepler source code?
>>>  Suppose it is possible  Can we
>>> run that component in kepler.
>>>
>>> Please Note: I didn't use kepler source to create component. can i run
>>> that component in kepler.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thank You!
>>>
>>> With Regards,
>>>       Rajan S.
>>>

>> What would it mean to run the component in Kepler?
>> I can think of several alternatives:
>>
>> - Associate a port with each method of the class that the component
>>  is an instance of.  Xiaojun Liu created an actor (very experimental)
>>  called ClassWrapper (in $PTII/ptolemy/actor/lib) that given a class
>>  creates a wrapper with one port per method.
>>
>> - Execute a Runnable in a thread that doesn't interact with anything
>>  else in Kepler. This would be easy to do in the PN domain, but why
>>  do this?
>>
>> - Use Kepler to visually represent imperative code doing ordinary
>>  method calls.  The "component" domain ($PTII/component) is a
>>  (very rough) start at an attempt to do this. This has never been
>>  finished in part because we really don't know what it means.
>>
>> - Wrap some service provided by some object in a Kepler actor
>>  with input and output ports to provide data and get results.
>>  This is easy to do (in fact, many actors are exactly such
>>  wrappers). The Kepler web service actor is also an illustration
>>  of this.
>>
>> Edward

Thank You!

With Regards,