[kepler-dev] java 1.6 for kepler 2.0?

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 16 11:46:24 PST 2009

Hi Chad,
For Ptolemy, there is the Eclipse/Mac OS X problem documented in
http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptexternal/wiki/Main/Mac#Eclipse1_6

I can take a look at this sometime soonish.

Another issue is that last I looked, Java 1.6 applets will not work
under Mac OS X 10.5.  This is probably not a big issue with Kepler,
but it is an issue with Ptolemy as Edward and I are using 10.5.

In the near term, Ptolemy will likely remain at Java 1.5.  We
are fairly close to a code freeze, so requiring Java 1.6 seems
slightly risky.

If we require 1.6, then someone, somewhere will likely be left out
and complain.

I do see the value of requiring Java 1.5, but waiting might be prudent.

_Christopher

Chad Berkley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm becoming increasingly convinced that we just need to bite the bullet
> and require java 1.6 for Kepler 2.0.  Mac OSX just pushed 1.6 in the
> latest update.  I'm not sure how many of the older macs are still out
> there that can't run 1.6, but it's becoming increasingly hard to only
> compile kepler components with a pre 1.5 compiler.
>
> What do others think?  Do we have any recent download stats on how many
> people are downloading kepler with older macs?
>
> chad

ph: 510.643.9841 fax:510.642.2718	      (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670