[kepler-dev] Re: Float, Byte and Short types in Ptolemy

Christopher Hylands Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 27 13:00:29 PDT 2004

There is no particular reason we have not added these types, other
than that we have not particularly needed them, and adding types
takes a certain amount of time to add the code, update the
documentation and add tests.

Personally, I would rather see float, byte and short added to the
Ptolemy tree itself than just to Kepler.

I feel less strongly about adding a Date type to Ptolemy itself,
though I can see the value of such a thing.  If no one objects, then
adding a Date type to Ptolemy itself would make sense.

-Christopher

--------

    Hi,

    In an effort to map basic XMLSchema types into Ptolemy types,
    I've realized that the PtolemyII type system doesn't have some
    java types. (float, byte and short) Is there a particular reason
    that these types are not in the type system? Or else can they
    be added?

    Also, having an XSD-like Date type in the type system would be
    very useful especially in the context of Kepler web services
    and dataset discovery part. Does anybody see any value in adding
    this into the Ptolemy type system or is it better we just add
    it under Kepler?

    Thanks,
    Ilkay