[kepler-dev] Float, Byte and Short types in Ptolemy

Edward A Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 27 13:10:05 PDT 2004

At 10:34 AM 7/27/2004 -0700, Ilkay Altintas wrote:

>Hi,
>
>In an effort to map basic XMLSchema types into Ptolemy types,
>I've realized that the PtolemyII type system doesn't have some
>java types. (float, byte and short) Is there a particular reason
>that these types are not in the type system? Or else can they
>be added?

They aren't there only because we never had a need for
them... Adding them would be fine...  I guess we need
to think about their position in the type lattice
(e.g., byte < string, but is byte < int? probably not,
but I'm not sure).

>Also, having an XSD-like Date type in the type system would be
>very useful especially in the context of Kepler web services
>and dataset discovery part. Does anybody see any value in adding
>this into the Ptolemy type system or is it better we just add
>it under Kepler?

A date type would be very useful, I think...

Edward

Edward A. Lee, Professor
518 Cory Hall, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720
phone: 510-642-0455, fax: 510-642-2739
eal at eecs.Berkeley.EDU, http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~eal