[tcs-lc] handling of ex authors

Roger Hyam roger at tdwg.org
Thu Sep 22 01:10:30 PDT 2005

NameObjects (soon to be TaxonNames) can have a 'BasedOn' link to another
name. This allows for explicitly indicating that this name is the
validation of a previously used name that was not validly published.

This mechanism is probably a clearer way of showing the origins of a
name than trying to indicate it within the author string.

But I accept that 'ex' in author strings is required and a role type
mechanism as suggested by Sally is probably the way to go.

Gregor Hagedorn wrote:

>Please compare the previous discussions on author issues in LC discussions, see
>
>http://wiki.cs.umb.edu/twiki/bin/view/UBIF/LCNameAuthorshipConventions
>
>chapter "5. "Ex" Authors"
>
>Note that the usage of "ex" in zoology and botany seems to be the opposite.
>
>Despite all this, ex is one of the most important data items to our projects,
>because it allows to inform human consumers about conceptual identity of
>otherwise different author-names.
>
>>From the perspective of SDD and (I believe) Flora-Fauna standards, I believe we
>need this information. In the LC discussion I tried to introduce this (and the
>name elements to indicate hierarchy, like subgenus etc.) in a separate
>container, but this was no longer pursued.
>
>Perhaps this needs to be developed outside TCS?
>
>Gregor----------------------------------------------------------
>Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
>Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
>Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
>Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
>14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203

 Roger Hyam
 Technical Architect
 Taxonomic Databases Working Group
 http://www.tdwg.org