[tcs-lc] handling of ex authors

Sally Hinchcliffe S.Hinchcliffe at rbgkew.org.uk
Fri Sep 23 00:58:18 PDT 2005

Roger wrote:
> NameObjects (soon to be TaxonNames) can have a 'BasedOn' link to another
> name. This allows for explicitly indicating that this name is the
> validation of a previously used name that was not validly published.
>
> This mechanism is probably a clearer way of showing the origins of a
> name than trying to indicate it within the author string.
>
> But I accept that 'ex' in author strings is required and a role type
> mechanism as suggested by Sally is probably the way to go.

Yes please, I think this will help acceptance of the standard.
Agree that Based on is a better way of encoding this information if
it's available but many providers (including most legacy records in
IPNI) won't have that data
SAlly
*** Sally Hinchcliffe
*** Computer section, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
*** tel: +44 (0)20 8332 5708
*** S.Hinchcliffe at rbgkew.org.uk