[tcs-lc] handling of ex authors

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Thu Sep 22 00:57:44 PDT 2005

Please compare the previous discussions on author issues in LC discussions, see

http://wiki.cs.umb.edu/twiki/bin/view/UBIF/LCNameAuthorshipConventions

chapter "5. "Ex" Authors"

Note that the usage of "ex" in zoology and botany seems to be the opposite.

Despite all this, ex is one of the most important data items to our projects,
because it allows to inform human consumers about conceptual identity of
otherwise different author-names.

>From the perspective of SDD and (I believe) Flora-Fauna standards, I believe we
need this information. In the LC discussion I tried to introduce this (and the
name elements to indicate hierarchy, like subgenus etc.) in a separate
container, but this was no longer pursued.

Perhaps this needs to be developed outside TCS?

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203