[tcs-lc] Minor modifications prior TDWG ratification vote

Sally Hinchcliffe S.Hinchcliffe at rbgkew.org.uk
Tue Sep 20 07:59:42 PDT 2005

Following on from what Jessie said:

> I would define minor for this discussion to be changes like simple
> element or attribute changes, spelling errors, changes to enumerations
> where the understanding of the change to be made is clear. Major changes
> would involve restructuring elements where the implication of the change
> would be hard to assess in the time given or where the understanding of
> the issue is such that we cannot get a common agreement on understanding
> in the time we have remaining.

I would agree. I think we also mentioned at the time that we should
confine these last minute amendments to changes that would otherwise
break backwards compatibility (for example changing element names, or
removing something, or adding a required field). Adding new non-
required elements to schemas, adding new entries to enums etc. won't
break instance documents so they are less urgent and can be given
more considered discussion.

I would say Gregor's two name change proposals come into the former
case whereas the ultimate solution to incertae sedis comes into the
latter case.

> As Jerry said the thing is for us to get agreement and then get some
> real implementations done and catalogue the issues for discussion in the
> next version.

Hear hear.
Roger - where are you?
Sally

*** Sally Hinchcliffe
*** Computer section, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
*** tel: +44 (0)20 8332 5708
*** S.Hinchcliffe at rbgkew.org.uk