[tcs-lc] Misspelled Names and Orthographic Variants (Issue 005)

Sally Hinchcliffe S.Hinchcliffe at rbgkew.org.uk
Tue May 3 02:53:59 PDT 2005

Bob Morris wrote:
> There is a small gotcha that bit us once. The horticultural code,
which
> seems to be incorporated in ICBN by reference , is underspecified on the
> use of the symbol for cross, which in print is sometimes rendered with
> the "multiplication" sign, 0xD7 in unicode hex. Not only is this not in
> the ISO Latin set, but it is unclear to me whether ICBN would treat the
> same string using the ascii character "X" as an orthographic variant or
> not in a printed environment and hence(?) in an electronic environment.

Not only that but I once attended a two hour meeting to thrash out
the issue of whether, if a multiplication x was used, the hybrid
should be laid out WITHOUT spaces between the names whereas if a
normal x was used the spaces should be included.
I think the conclusion was that we WOULD include the spaces,
whatever, even though it was technically incorrect to do so.
So, I think the moral of the story I am drawing here is that whatever
we decide, we should probably treat multiplication x-es as equivalent
to alphabet x-es, whatever happens to the debate about orthographic
variants
Sally
ps the dinosaurs were cute.
*** Sally Hinchcliffe
*** Computer section, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
*** tel: +44 (0)20 8332 5708
*** S.Hinchcliffe at rbgkew.org.uk