[tcs-lc] Misspelled Names and Orthographic Variants (Issue 005)

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Tue May 3 03:49:47 PDT 2005

> > There is a small gotcha that bit us once. The horticultural code,
> which
> > seems to be incorporated in ICBN by reference , is underspecified on the use
> > of the symbol for cross, which in print is sometimes rendered with the
> > "multiplication" sign, 0xD7 in unicode hex. Not only is this not in the ISO
> > Latin set, but it is unclear to me whether ICBN would treat the same string
> > using the ascii character "X" as an orthographic variant or not in a printed
> > environment and hence(?) in an electronic environment.

However, ICBN does have canonical rules on this ("multiplication" sign, X only
if not available). I think the horticultural code may be assumed to be based on
the ICBN foundation and only extent this, so I would assume it a de-facto rule
for ICNCP as well.

Gregor

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203