[tcs-lc] Mispelling db response

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Mon May 2 10:52:33 PDT 2005

Roger,

One persons wrongly spelt name is another person correctly spelt name. All names (in the real world) must be in some sort of context. Your 3) below is the ideal solutions - I do not like 1) because other things being equal I do not like 'notes'.

So here is a real example:

The first link is to a species from the British Fungi web site which has a link to the UK Biodiversity Action Plan web site (the second link below)

http://194.203.77.76/fieldmycology/GBCHKLST/gbsyns.asp?intGBNum=3012 <http://194.203.77.76/fieldmycology/GBCHKLST/gbsyns.asp?intGBNum=3012>

http://www.ukbap.org.uk/ukplans.aspx?ID=136

Note the different spellings (yes, I know, they could correctly be regarded as orthographic variants but when does an orthographic variant become a mispelling).

So, If you try the name from the UK BAP site on the British Fungi site you will get a 'not found' because the current database does not have this functionality (i.e. it does not keep track of orthographic variants/mispellings) - users can just put in a right hand trunctation and with a few clicks they can skip over the different spelling and get at the data they are wanting - but machines cannot do this (?).

Now, a similar query on the Index Fungorum web site will find the correctly spelt name:

http://www.speciesfungorum.org/Names/NamesRecord.asp?RecordID=159853 <http://www.speciesfungorum.org/Names/NamesRecord.asp?RecordID=159853>

but here if you enter the incorrectly spelt name you will eventually get to the records for the correct name - this next link is a bit of a cludge at the moment as I cannot replicate in a real URL the functionality shown in the URL below ;-)

http://www.speciesfungorum.org/Names/names.asp?strGenus=Battarraea%20phalloides <http://82.43.123.182/IndexFungorum/Names/names.asp?strGenus=Battarraea%20phalloides>

So, Index Fungorum will not keep track of all orthographic variant or mispellings but if the original orthography is incorrect this will be tracked and linked to the correct orthography (under the current database schema perhaps not as elegantly as possible).

Bottom line is, other things being equal, I do not like 'notes'.

Paul