[tcs-lc] Re: Question about XML attribute vs. element

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Mon Mar 21 22:46:45 PST 2005

> > Why not have two concept instances with a Relationship of "is
> congruent to"
> > as part of the concept definition?
>
> Because they relate to each other as (or via?) name literals, not as
> concept, just like multiple scripts in Japanese for single word.

Right -- the name-name relation is recorded as "is ambiregnal of", and for
the original usage of the name, there can be two concepts; one that points
to the ICBN name, and one that points to the ICZN name; and both of these
two concept instances would be recorded as "is congruent to" with each
other.  Two concepts, two names.

> > I meant "homonyms" not in the Nomenclatural Code sense, but in
> the literal
> > sense (=same literal string).
>
> Yes, I guessed that you understand, but I think that such usage should
> be avoided especially for non-natives.

Sorry!  You are right -- our use of words is confusing enough in this
thread, even for the natives...

> I think they are different languages, becuase they have their
> own grammar (the Code), vocabulary (lit of name literals).  They may
> be scientificName at ICBN or scientificName at ICZN if you prefer...

Hmmm...I don't know enough about "locale" attributes, so I'll leave that for
others to discuss.