[tcs-lc] Re: Question about XML attribute vs. element

Nozomi Ytow nozomi at biol.tsukuba.ac.jp
Mon Mar 21 22:30:01 PST 2005

> Why not have two concept instances with a Relationship of "is congruent to"
> as part of the concept definition?

Because they relate to each other as (or via?) name literals, not as
concept, just like multiple scripts in Japanese for single word.

> I meant "homonyms" not in the Nomenclatural Code sense, but in the literal
> sense (=same literal string).

Yes, I guessed that you understand, but I think that such usage should
be avoided especially for non-natives.

> Hmmmm....I don't see ICBN, ICZN, etc. as separate locales, but perhaps all
> combined into "ScientificName" locale????

I think they are different languages, becuase they have their
own grammar (the Code), vocabulary (lit of name literals).  They may
be scientificName at ICBN or scientificName at ICZN if you prefer...

> I can see how non-scientific names would need "locale" attributes in this
> sense, but I'm not sure I follow why each code would represent a separate
> "locale".

I think ICXN is a special language.  If we had a computer standard to
manage Codes already but not for natural languages, I would handle
natural languages using what for Codes.  We already have locale
mechanism supproted by DBMSs and computer languages/libraries.

Cheers,
JMS