[tcs-lc] Re: Question about XML attribute vs. element

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Mon Mar 21 22:15:15 PST 2005

> > > Suppose a protista named Aus bus under both ICBN and ICZN with a
> > > single description in a single publication.  How should it expressed?
> > I would treat those cases as two separate name intsances (each
> governed by
> > its own Code rules), with a name-name relationship "is ambiregnal of"
> > connecting the two names.
>
> I agree with you to exchange name usage records.  If it is a taxon
> concpet, however, ... I do not repeat it here.

Why not have two concept instances with a Relationship of "is congruent to"
as part of the concept definition?

> I agree again.  I would phrase the situation as two names (or name
> usages) shares a single name literal.

Yes, agreed.

> > This is because subsequent usages of the name(s) may
> > involve different required changes/applied rules depending on
> what Code is
> > followed.  In other words, its Zoological "name" and its
> Botanical "name"
> > may encounter different Code-regulated fates -- so perhaps best
> to keep them
> > as separate (cross-Code homonyms).
>
> Agreed, besides that they aren't homonyms...

I meant "homonyms" not in the Nomenclatural Code sense, but in the literal
sense (=same literal string).  Unlike most within-Code homonyms and all
other forms of cross-code homonyms, these would be homotypic.

> > > I prefer to put it as a "locale" attribute of NameSimple, rather than
> > > NameDetailed.
> > What would an enumerated list of the "locale" attribute look like?

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/pseries/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.ai
x.doc/aixprggd/nlsgdrf/locale.htm
> gives a good summary of locale.
>
> A locale is a combination of language, region (territory or country,
> if you want to say) and variant.  The latter two are optional.  Locale
> name is concatination of these values expressed in ISO code with
> underscore (_), like
>
> en
> en_GB
> en_US
>
> See following URL's for ISO codes
> http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html

http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/list
-en1.html

> It is unnecessary to use these locale name, so I would add such as
> ICBN, ICZN etc. as a kind of language.  Ah yes, it requires to add
> an element having langauge, region, variant as either elements or
> attributes, but not locale as an attribute.

Hmmmm....I don't see ICBN, ICZN, etc. as separate locales, but perhaps all
combined into "ScientificName" locale????

I can see how non-scientific names would need "locale" attributes in this
sense, but I'm not sure I follow why each code would represent a separate
"locale".