[tcs-lc] Re: Question about XML attribute vs. element

Nozomi Ytow nozomi at biol.tsukuba.ac.jp
Mon Mar 21 21:28:15 PST 2005

Rich,

> > Suppose a protista named Aus bus under both ICBN and ICZN with a
> > single description in a single publication.  How should it expressed?
> I would treat those cases as two separate name intsances (each governed by
> its own Code rules), with a name-name relationship "is ambiregnal of"
> connecting the two names.

I agree with you to exchange name usage records.  If it is a taxon
concpet, however, ... I do not repeat it here.

> > If we allow a single spelling ("Aus bus") to have multiple NomenCode,
> > then elements.  Otherwise, either will do.
> Ambiregnal names are a mess no matter how you deal with them.  I suppose
> leaving NomenCode as an element makes it less painful later to expand to
> allow multiple codes for one name.  But I think the ambiregnal really
> represent two separate name-objects (two GUIDs), one for each "name" created
> in a Code-context.

I agree again.  I would phrase the situation as two names (or name
usages) shares a single name literal.

> This is because subsequent usages of the name(s) may
> involve different required changes/applied rules depending on what Code is
> followed.  In other words, its Zoological "name" and its Botanical "name"
> may encounter different Code-regulated fates -- so perhaps best to keep them
> as separate (cross-Code homonyms).

Agreed, besides that they aren't homonyms...

> > I prefer to put it as a "locale" attribute of NameSimple, rather than
> > NameDetailed.
> What would an enumerated list of the "locale" attribute look like?

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/pseries/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.doc/aixprggd/nlsgdrf/locale.htm
gives a good summary of locale.

A locale is a combination of language, region (territory or country,
if you want to say) and variant.  The latter two are optional.  Locale
name is concatination of these values expressed in ISO code with
underscore (_), like

en
en_GB
en_US

See following URL's for ISO codes
http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html
http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/list-en1.html

It is unnecessary to use these locale name, so I would add such as
ICBN, ICZN etc. as a kind of language.  Ah yes, it requires to add
an element having langauge, region, variant as either elements or
attributes, but not locale as an attribute.

Cheers,
JMS