[tcs-lc] Re: You don't need embedded names to do concepts

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Mar 10 19:52:50 PST 2005

On a post a couple days ago from James that I missed:

> To make the blame more horrible-honourable, I would say, the proposal
> is lined to having multiple name entries in TaxonConcept to support
> ambiregnal names and multiscript languages.

I thought one of the Wiki dicussions ended with agreement that ambiregnal
names would be established as two separate Original concept instances,
mapped to each other as "Congurent" within the (definitive) Relationships. I
sort-of understand the multiscript languages problem, but I don't see them
as being within the scope of "scientific names".  There may need to be a
"VB" ("VernacularCore") group to deal with such problems.

Even more generally, as I see it, there is no way to record simultaneously a
vernacular name and a scientific name within one Concept instance.

> I suspect I strongly
> rely on disctinction between a name-string and a name which may be
> unshared by others on the list.

I think it's shared by me.  One "name" object can have multiple
"name-strings" in the form of orthographic variants.  Presumably, only one
of those orthographic alternatives would be deemed "Code-correct", in the
case of scientific names.  I think the problem is more complex for
vernacular names.

Aloha,