[seek] IRC information

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Jan 22 15:02:04 PST 2003

For those of you who are or will be participating in SEEK, I wanted to
let you know that we have a IRC chat server in use for seek and other
informatics related discussions.  We've found this to be incredibly
useful in other distributed development projects.  I've included the
connection information below, and listed a few possible clients.  We
generally discuss seek issues in the channel "#seek", but anyone can
create a new discussion channel as needed.  See you there,

Matt

IRC Server: irc.ecoinformatics.org
       Port: 6667
Security restrictions: Only hosts from NCEAS, SDSC, LTER, some subnets
in KU, and selected other hosts can connect due to security
restrictions.  To have your host added to the list of those that can
connect, send an email to me -- it only takes a minute.  We hope to lift
this restriction soon, but for now that's how it is.

Once you logon to the server with an IRC client, join the discussion in
the "#seek" channel (e.g., use the command "/join #seek").  Everybody
sees whatever you type in a given channel.

Some clients that we've been known to use:

For linux: x-chat (http://www.xchat.org)
For Windows: mIRC (http://www.mirc.org)
              Trillian (http://ceruleanstudios.com/trillian/index.html)
Matt Jones                                    jones at nceas.ucsb.edu