[seek-taxon] FW: [Tdwg-obs] What is an observation? (fwd)

Robert K. Peet peet at unc.edu
Mon Oct 31 20:51:19 PST 2005

Following on our discussion in San Diego I contacted Bruce Stein at
NatureServe about the TDWG Observations Group.

He sent me the information below

Note:
To join the TDWG observations listserv:
To view the TDWG Observations listserv archive:
http://lists.tdwg.org/pipermail/tdwg-obs_lists.tdwg.org/

Not a lot going on yet, but the listserv is very new.

Jerry Cooper has a quite perceptive comment worth taking a look at.  Also
note reference to the Open GIS standard.

Bruce also reported that NatureServe is actively developing an observation
standard for their own use, this funded by a grant form teh Gordon and
Betty Moore Foundation.  For more information on this he referred me to
Lynn Kutner.  I will forward information on this shortly.

Bruce is keen for any standard to apply equally well to vegetation and
individual organisms, to field observations and museum obervations.

Bob

  Robert K. Peet, Professor              Phone:  919-962-6942
  Department of Biology, CB#3280         Fax:    919-962-6930
  University of North Carolina           Cell:   919-368-4971
  Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3280  USA       Email:  peet at unc.edu

              http://www.bio.unc.edu/faculty/peet/