[seek-taxon] usability activities to discuss at SEEK AHM in Oct 2005

Robert K. Peet peet at unc.edu
Fri Oct 14 00:22:55 PDT 2005

Hi Laura,

In general, this looks great!

Slide 2:
2.1)  You identify two tasks as "DONE".  Probably true, but it would be
good for us to review the final documents.  I really should know (sorry),
but where are they so I can take a look prior to the meeting?

2.2) User profiles for the resolution tools/services should focus on
ecologists who mine data from other datasets.  I think we could
profitably spend 15 minutes of time on this at the AHM and convey to you
the core ideas.

2.3) Is there a formal document for the Kate Jones task analysis?

2.4) I think we still need a task analysis for the ecologists merging data
with concepts, but we could probably do this quickly at the AHM by having
you chat with me and one or two other representative ecologists.

2.5)  We have lots of demo data, but not perhaps a few really tidy
examples.  Let's scope this out at the AHM so that by the end of November
the demos are in hand.

Slide 3:
3.1) Yes, we do need to leave teh AHM with an assessment of the last two
items regards our interaction with Kepler. Thanks for bringing up again
these items which I consider critical.

Slide 4:
4.1) change "Allen Weekley" to "Alan Weakley"

4.2) the groups you list under Taxonomists/Systematics are not that,
though they are important.  We probably need to recognize
Taxonomists/Systematists as a group with some subbullets, but then a new
group for taxonomic data providers, or some such thing, to house the 3 you
in clude in taxonmists/systematists

Thansk for your great work!
See you soon.

Cheers,
Bob

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Laura L. Downey wrote:

> Hello all
>

> I've just uploaded a small presentation (about 6 slides) to the usability
> directory in the SEEK cvs.  You can find the document here:
>

> projects/taxon/usability/SEEK Taxon Usability Activities.ppt
>

> Very briefly, I included our previous plans, some status on those planned
> activities, an update of our target user groups and a set of additional
> activities we need to get information on or make decisions on.  If you get a
> chance, before the SEEK AHM meeting in San Diego in a couple of weeks, it
> would be useful if you could take a few minutes to review these slides and
> think about any comments/suggestions/additions you would like to make about
> future usability activities involving SEEK taxon tools.
>

> Thanks.
>

> Laura L. Downey
> Senior Usability Engineer
> LTER Network Office
> Department of Biology, MSC03 2020
> 1 University of New Mexico
> Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001
> 505.277.3157 phone
>
> 505.277-2541 fax
> ldowney at lternet.edu

 Robert K. Peet, Professor              Phone:  919-962-6942
 Department of Biology, CB#3280         Fax:    919-962-6930
 University of North Carolina           Cell:   919-368-4971
 Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3280  USA       Email:  peet at unc.edu

             http://www.bio.unc.edu/faculty/peet/