[SEEK-Taxon] TCS & EML suggestions for improvement

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Mar 4 16:16:45 PST 2005

Nico,

I looked over your document, especially with regards to the EML changes.
  Jessie asked me about this in a followup email.  In general, I think
it would be an excellent idea to modify EML to make it compatible with
the TCS as much as possible, and fix any underlying  problems in the EML
represenation of taxonomic information.

There's really two places that taxonomic names would be found in EML.
The first is in the taxonomic coverage subtree, the second is in the
nonNumericDomain descriptions for defining coded values in data sets
when those codes represent taxa.  Right now I think it is problematic
that these two parts of EML aren't more closely linked, as it currently
requires the taxon list to potentially be in two places to fully
describe the data. So, I would like to fix that.

That said, we've struggled to get people to adopt EML and start
providing metadata, and I know we will alienate some contributors if we
make large and (seemingly) unnecessary changes. So, I'd like to minimize
the impact of our revisions as much as possible, changing as few
structures as possible.

As a minimum set of changes in taxonomic coverage, I think you want to
get rid of the taxonomic tree and replace it with single entries.  That
would probably be ok with me as long as the taxon can be at any rank.  I
also think that adding a field for the TCS GUID, and possibly some other
TCS fields would be fine.  I'll need to sit down and try to do a mapping
between the fields that were in the TCS and those in the current EML.
The current EMl structure is outlined graphically here:
http://knb.ecoinformatics.org/software/eml/eml-2.0.1/eml-coverage.png

I sort of got the impression from your email you might want more drastic
changes, like putting TCS directly into EML.  That's a possibility, but
a much harder sell to the community.  We should discuss these options
sooner rather than later as I suspect a lot of metadata standards
(including BDP) will be changing this year.  Its a good time for changes
in the scheme of things.

Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara