[SEEK-Taxon] RE: GBIF and TCS-LC for data exchange

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Tue Mar 1 03:04:21 PST 2005

After 2 years of Bob trying to convince me, I now like Wiki's (quite obvious
from the LC discussions..). I have no problems with email lists, except that I
believe for something like LC we do need some collaboration in *collecting* and
*comparing* our knowledge about taxonomy and nomenclature. I find it rather
interesting how little I understood about zoology, and I believe the LC
discussion so far already did a good job of establishing some understanding
between botanists and zoologist.

So please don't give up the "knowledge collection process" altogether. In my
view, the current state of LC leaves a number of things open. Email list is
great for reaching a consensus and making decisions, but not really for
structuring complex knowledge, and the latter is what decisions should be based
on.

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203