[SEEK-Taxon] RE: GBIF and TCS-LC for data exchange

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Mon Feb 28 02:03:12 PST 2005

Hi Donald (and others),

Many thanks for your recent note -- I am very glad to see this issue being
"nudged" forward by you and GBIF (at the very least, it helps me get off my
duff and catch up with the discussion as it currently stands).

> We have contracted Roger Hyam (roger at hyam.net) to act as GBIF Taxonomic
> Name/Concept Lead Developer.  He will coordinate this development
> on behalf of the GBIF Secretariat and I would be most grateful if you
would provide
> him with all the assistance you can.

Welcome, Roger!  Please feel free to contact me any time if I can be of any
assistance whatsoever.

> We welcome any suggestions.

It would be nice if we could collectively select a single forum for
discussion on the issues related to the integration of LC and TCS.  Perhaps
I am old-fashioned, but I still tend to prefer an email discussion list
(with a web-accessible archive of postings and a designated location for
file uploads), over the Wiki method.  As I suspect I am among the minority
in having this view, I am quite willing to continue working with one of the
Wikis instead of an email list.  However, if Wiki it is to be, I think it
would be tremendously more efficient for making progress if we could
designate ONE Wiki as the location where the LC/TCS integration issues are
discussed.  I do not know enough about the various options to have an
opinion about which of the candidate Wikis I prefer, so I'll leave that for
others to decide.  But please -- my life is complicated and disjointed and
schizophrenic enough as it is -- I would very much prefer not to have to
monitor more than one Wiki for this discussion.

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum
1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252
email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org