[SEEK-Taxon] LinneanCore Wiki

franz@nceas.ucsb.edu franz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Nov 4 14:22:46 PST 2004

Hi Rich et al.:

   I will jump in just to present *my* perspective on the name/concept/nominal
concept issue. I think within SEEK Taxon we are in substantive agreement about this.

   As I understand, part of the motivation to with strictly nomenclatural issues
as if they were something unique has to do with the notion that, when changing a
name due only to abidence with Code rules, there is no altering/creating of a
definition (circumscription, diagnosis) implied. No implied definition
creation/change - no concept. We cannot follow that reasoning simply because the
new names nevertheless are published by someone, at a certain time, in a certain
publication, and the use and reuse of that name/publication will have a fate
different from that of the publication containing (e.g.) the new synonym.

   In short, instances of rule abidance are properly modelled in the TCS JUST AS
IF they were concepts with deeper definitions. The trade-off is taxonomic
meaning vs. fair data management, and the latter wins. No fair data management
and the origin of data becomes intractable. This is worse than attaching a
"sec." to a nomenclatural emendation. It is that simple.

   Furthermore, because many units the TCS must handle and redestribute ONLY
have a name provided by the source from which they come, we have something lie
"nominal concepts." Meaning, there is in essence just the name we are
transporting electronically, followed by the "sec." provider. Again, even
lacking a deeper definition, these name instances will have their own
idiosyncratic fates and they are enriched, reused, redistributed, etc. To
capture those origis and fates, they receive a "sec." Fair and sustainable
information management outtrumps taxonomic transparency and meaning - again.

   Because TCS/SEEK is such a dynamic, information-importing and -expoiting
environment, it is a major challenge for us to keep thing with different origins
separate and internally consistent. That is why nomenclatural emendations and
"just names" are treated just like concepts. There is no room for name instances
lacking any association with a provider authority.

Cheers,

Nico