[SEEK-Taxon] LinneanCore Wiki

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Nov 3 01:24:37 PST 2004

Hi Dave,

In a nutshell, the LinneanCore group is working on a more robust version of
what now falls within the "NameDetailed" part of the TCS schema.  At the
moment, TCS just "borrows" the ABCD nomenclatural elements for this; but
several of us at Christchurch felt that Jerry Cooper's draft "LinnaeanCore"
(later amended to "LinneanCore") schema was a better approach to managing
purely nomenclatural information (I could list specific reasons why we felt
that the LC approach was preferable to the ABCD approach, if you're
interested).  Bear in mind that the LC group is *only* interested in Names
data -- NOT concept data.  Virtually all of the LC discussion members have
agreed that all concept-related information should be excluded from LC, and
left to TCS.  Many (but not all....yet) of us feel strongly that LC should
not exist as stand-alone schema, but rather exist only in the context of a
TCS "wrapper".  In the case of TCS instances that are of "Nominal" (aka
"Nomenclatural") type, the LC elements would constitute the bulk of content.
As far as I can tell, whatever comes of LC, it will not impact any of the
TCS elements outside of "NameDetailed" (except, perhaps, for some comments
about "NameSimple". Of course, if any of our discussions lead to conclusions
relevant to parts of TCS outside of "NameDetailed", we'll certainly make
sure those comments get back to the SEEK taxon group).

So...here are some bulleted points:
   * LC is intended to replace the elements included within the TCS
"NameDetailed" section (currently borrowed from ABCD)

   * LC focuses mostly on issues related to Codes of Nomenclature, and does
not deal with concept information

   * Most of the points of discussion on LC are topics that have not yet
been adequately addressed (if at all) by the TCS group

   * If those of us who feel that LC should only exist within a TCS wrapper
prevail in the LC discussions, LC could go a long way to providing a pathway
for nomenclators and name-only data holders to embrace TCS as a means of
names-only data exchange (via TCS "Nominal"-type records).

If you'd like more bulleted points, or more elaboration on any of the points
above, please let me know.  The bottom line is that I see LC as purely
complementary to TCS; not a duplication of effort. Note that Jessie and
Robert were both part of the main LC discussion in Christchurch, and from my
discussions with Jessie, I get the impression that she also feels that what
we are doing will support TCS ('though I may have misunderstood her --
Jessie?)

Aloha,
Rich

P.S. I know it's looking bleak, but don't write off Ohio just yet....

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Natural Sciences Database Coordinator, Bishop Museum
1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252
email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org