[SEEK-Taxon] Re: [seek-kr-sms] Taxon/KR integration prototype proposal

sgauch@ittc.ku.edu sgauch at ittc.ku.edu
Wed Mar 31 08:22:00 PST 2004

Dave,

The description of the prototype is very thorough and complete.  It
represents an important use case that begins to work across the working
group "barriers" and as such is, I think, a very important step to take.
I think that a demo of "what is possible" with semantically annotated
data is an excellent idea and it can then be contrasted with what is
possible with data the way it is marked up now.  Thus, it can act as
a motivator for better, more complete data markup and the development
of tools to make that process semi-automatic (my personal interest).

I would ask that the API you develop for the taxonomic information be
as consistent with our current API (i.e., a similar method to those
already existing with the same inputs, perhaps, but a different return
type) so that we could create an integrated system that could store the
"full" concepts right along with the basic concepts we have now.
This integration wouldn't take place with the first prototype, but that
would be the second step of development - working on merging the
semantically rich prototype with the other so that _if_ rich data is
available, you get rich results.  Otherwise, you get the regular stuff...

Susan.