[SEEK-Taxon] Draft TES

Robert A. Morris ram at cs.umb.edu
Wed Jul 28 16:45:39 PDT 2004

UBIF is a relatively new thing, though it arose from efforts starting
about six months ago between ABCD and TDWG/SDD to unify some common
functionality. At an SDD meeting in Berlin in April, a more formal
separation began to emerge.

SDD is discussed at http://efgblade.cs.umb.edu/twiki/bin/view/SDD/WebHome

SDD and probably UBIF will be proposed as TDWG standards at the October
meeting in Christ Church, as, I understand, will be the SEEK TaxonNames
Schema. This could entail that the latter wants to reconcile with UBIF,
although possibly this is implied by use of ABCDNameTypes. Still,
somebody should contemplate that issue, because I don't know how closely
Jessie and Trevor, who both attended the Berlin meeting, are following
UBIF (nor do I know whether there is concensus about submitting it to
TDWG this year...)

Bob