[SEEK-Taxon] Draft TES

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Jul 28 14:52:31 PDT 2004

Many thanks, Bob!

> Under this circumstance you will most likely want to actually rip the
> ABCDNameTypes.xsd into the place you took out the include statement.
> Otherwise, some things in schema design view will be a bit confusing.

Can you define the verb "rip", in this context?  I get the gist, but don't
know how to implement in XMLSpy.

> The classical tutorials for most things XML'sh are at zvon.org

Thanks -- I'll check it out.  Right now, I'm still enthusastically looking
over the UBIF links you provided (everytime I turn around it seems there's a
whole world of stuff "out there" that is highly relevant to what I do on a
daily basis, but that I somehow managed to miss althogether!!).  I'm also
still getting used to the whole Wiki thing.

> As you observe, for the case of schema reading, the Schema Design view
> in Spy will make the most sense. For most people, there is not a lot of
> merit to reading text versions of an XML Schema and it may be especially
> confusing because most of the details are about the syntax of XML
> Schema, not about the logical structure revealed by the Schema Design
> view.

Yes, that's the same sense I've got.  What I wasn't sure about is the extent
to which an understanding of those XML syntax details is important for
interpreting the schema's logical structure.  I gather from your comment
above that they are not so critical.  Nevertheless, I should probably try to
understand them, so I can feel a little less like an insecure boob when
discussing XML schemas.

> In particular, I am not sure how useful the ZVON Schema tutorial
> will prove.

O.K., thanks!

Now....back to the UBIF stuff....

Aloha,