[SEEK-Taxon] Draft TES

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Jul 28 16:52:10 PDT 2004

> UBIF is a relatively new thing, though it arose from efforts starting
> about six months ago between ABCD and TDWG/SDD to unify some common
> functionality. At an SDD meeting in Berlin in April, a more formal
> separation began to emerge.
>
> SDD is discussed at http://efgblade.cs.umb.edu/twiki/bin/view/SDD/WebHome

Thanks.  Yes, I was monitoring the TDWG/SDD list, but wasn't reading it
carefully when the move to the Wiki was made (it just seemed to suddenly go
quiet).  Kevin Thiele was out here recently, and clued me into the move.

> SDD and probably UBIF will be proposed as TDWG standards at the October
> meeting in Christ Church, as, I understand, will be the SEEK TaxonNames
> Schema.

That's what I was hoping -- I will be there in October.

> This could entail that the latter wants to reconcile with UBIF,
> although possibly this is implied by use of ABCDNameTypes. Still,
> somebody should contemplate that issue, because I don't know how closely
> Jessie and Trevor, who both attended the Berlin meeting, are following
> UBIF (nor do I know whether there is concensus about submitting it to
> TDWG this year...)

All very important issues.  My goal is to have my head around all the groups
before I get on the plane to New Zealand.

Aloha,
Rich