[SEEK-Taxon] Assertions

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Fri Aug 13 17:12:52 PDT 2004

Hi Nico,

Yes, I agree that "Assertion" is excessively ambiguous in both contexts
(Taxonomer & TCS).  If I had been smarter when drafting the Taxonomer MS, I
would have chosen something more explicit, like "TaxonNameStatusAssertion",
or picked something that had already been defined (like "Potential
Taxon") -- but there's always a risk in using an existing term in a slightly
different way.

I am perfectly happy to change the term in Taxonomer -- not just to avoid
conflict with TCS, but to come up with something more explicit.  But I worry
that doing so at this point might lead to more confusion.

The more immediate concern for me is that I plan to give a presentation at
TDWG in October describing Taxonomer, and I don't want to create confusion
with discussions about the TCS by using the same word with different
meanings.

Aloha,
Rich