[SEEK-Taxon] Assertions

Nico Franz franz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Aug 13 09:47:12 PDT 2004

Hi Rich:

    it's fascinating how we can sometimes understand each other using
ambiguous, uninformative, or even "wrong" terms. I agree with you that the
TOC's use of the term "assertion" pays little respect to your previous work
on Taxonomer. Just as importantly, I find the term rather uninformative,
when more informative choices were clearly available. The TOC's use of
"assertion" is meant to denote the establishment of a RELATIONSHIP among
(minimally) two concepts, although you wouldn't know that from its
name."Third-party assertion" helps a bit, but still misses the main point I
think. People also sometimes call these relationship assessments "concept
synonymies", which is equally unfortunate, because "nym" means name, not
concept. What I could further read into "assertion" is that since one
"merely asserts something", the "assertion" is not quite on the same
intellectual level as a "real concept". I'm clearly pushing it here, but
that's what *I*, *now*, read between the lines.

    So in sum, the TOC's use of "assertion" violates some sense of priority
(causing confusion), is unnecessarily uninformative as to what "assertions"
are, and possibly even labels them as something less scientific, less
reliable. I would like us to change all these potential implications by
calling them what they are: CONCEPT RELATIONSHIPS, or links, or
connections, edges in graph theory I believe. So then one could author
either a concept or a relationship, and be as assertive as one wants to
be.  ;-)

    That said, I think that when you're in the process of developing both
an application and a terminology, some temporary mismatches are bound to
happen, and sometimes don't matter all that much. In our conference calls
we've had some success talking about "AtomicTaxa", when those are really
concepts without relationships to others in their definition. So let's see
where the dice fall with "assertions".

Cheers,

Nico