[SEEK-Taxon] Design Issues of Taxonomic Concept Browser &

xianhual@email.unc.edu xianhual at email.unc.edu
Mon Aug 9 08:47:05 PDT 2004

A pure ontonogy-based TCBE has some advantages, including,

1. It can work with any kind of taxonommic data model that can output
data in OWL.
2. It saves time and effort for implementattion, since there have been
already free source codes.
3. It is in the trend of ontology web.

At the same time, such a TCBE needs to take some potential
disadvantages under consideration.

1. Most of TCBE users are supporsed to be Toxonomists, Ecologists or
Biologists. Ontology terminology (such as 'subClass','type') might be
difficult for these non-IT users to understand.

2. Putting everything into graph might make the screen so congested
that a user could get lost in such a jungle of 'rectangles','circles'
and 'lines'.

As an example, let's consider 'TaxonomicConcept' as a Class with two
properties, 'Name' & 'Reference'. In an ontology
browser, 'TaxonomicConcept' will be an empty rectangle (or other shape
depends on specific implementation) with two arrows pointing to 'Name'
& 'Reference' respectively. To get a basic idea about a 'Taxonomic
Concept', a user need to go through several branches and end nodes.
Would it be more direct and understandable to gather basic information
(name,author & year) of a 'TaxonomicConcept' and put them in one box?

Xianhua

Quoting sgauch at ittc.ku.edu: