[seek-taxon] Taxon Working Group Membership

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Mon Sep 8 13:32:21 PDT 2003

Seek Taxon WG members:

I met in Edinburgh two weeks ago with Jessie Kennedy and one of her
collaborators Dr. Martin Pullan from the Royal Botanical Garden, Edinburgh.

It struck me after spending a few hours with them, that Martin, being the
primary biologist/taxonomist  on the Prometheus collaboration would be an
excellent candidate for the SEEK Taxon WG.  He has clearly thought
critically about the needs of the biological community and on taxon
conceptualization issues as a practicing taxonomist.

In talking with SEEK Exec Comm and with Bill Michener who holds the purse
strings on the travel funds, there was no objection to the possibility of
adding a new member from an administrative perspective.

Here are a few URLs for reference.  Of course Jessie, is our best referee
having worked with Martin on their joint projects.

http://www.rbge.org.uk/rbge/web/science/research/biodiversity/prometh.jsp

http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~prometheus/prometheus_1/publications/ntct.htm

Let me know on the list, or privately if you like, if you have any thoughts
on this suggestion.

I will continue to invite Paula Huddleston and Hannu Saarenmaa as WG members
to our functions, but judging by their lack of response to our conference
call calls, they may be too busy to participate fully in the WG as members,
which they will remain.  We'll continue to invite them.

Many thanks,

Jim B.

James H. Beach
Biodiversity Research Center