[SEEK-Taxon] some notes on digital object identifiers

thau@learningsite.com thau at learningsite.com
Mon Nov 17 10:46:41 PST 2003

> As I recall, there was some expense in registering a handle server (a few
> thousand dollars?)  -- it was a while ago and for our purposes DOIs were
> a bit overkill.

Yes.  The current costs to become a registering agent (set up a server)
is:

$35,000/year
3 or 4 cents per DOI registered with the server

Crossref, one of the registering agents passes the cost onto
the publishers who use them by charging:

$250.00-$30,000.00/yr depending on the publisher's revenue
$1.00 per DOI issued

Spendy!  But, the DOIs themselves are free to use once they're issued.
So if a publisher decided it was in their best interest to spend the $$
for numbers, it'd be good to be able to use them.

thau!