[SEEK-Taxon] some notes on digital object identifiers

Shawn Bowers bowers at sdsc.edu
Mon Nov 17 11:27:33 PST 2003

DOIs were looked at in another project I was involved in.  As you say
below, you need a service for resolving DOI references.  DOIs are simply a
means of redirection, you assign a DOI and a handle server maps the DOI to
the associated item.  The handle server must be registered, and the main
service forwards requests to your handle server, so that your server can
resolve the DOIs. For example, the ACM digital library uses DOIs for all
of there pubs. If you type one of their DOIs into your browser, the DOI
server forwards the request to the ACM handle server, which then maps the
DOI to the associated webpage.

As I recall, there was some expense in registering a handle server (a few
thousand dollars?)  -- it was a while ago and for our purposes DOIs were
a bit overkill.

Shawn