[seek-kr-sms] uDIG: free replacement for ArcMap and possible developments

Sergey Krivov Serguei.Krivov at uvm.edu
Tue Sep 26 08:58:37 PDT 2006

Jianting and others,

In case you have not seen it, here is a newly developed GIS system, based on
geotools and commited to OGC standards:

http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/Home

This intends to be used as a free source replacement for ArcMap. The
interesting feature of uDIG is that it could easily fetch GIS data from
remote WMS servers, database connection and local files and make a single
Map project out of that. And this is accomplished by drag and drop.

In ecosystem services project where I am involved I have to develop a GIS
application which should help user to select geographic area of interest and
then fetch the data for a specific model of ecosystem service dynamics from
remote and local sources, then connect the data to spatial variables and
export them for the use within the model. We will use uDIG and I wonder if
something like this may be of use inside Kepler?

uDIG is evolving project, there are visions to add to it a 3D view aka
google earth. I think after release of java version of WorldWind, which was
planed for the end of this months this would be easy.

sergey