[seek-kr-sms] uDIG: free replacement for ArcMap and possibledevelopments

Jianting Zhang jzhang at lternet.edu
Tue Sep 26 10:00:54 PDT 2006

Hi, sergey:

Thanks for introducing UDIG for me. The GIS mapping functions are pretty
much standardized now and it is good to see more and more open source GIS
are coming (unfortunately, which means little room for academic research :-)

I'm familiar with JUMP (which is somewhat closely related to UDIG). A tool I
have developed for SEEK is built on top of JUMP
(ftp://ftp.lternet.edu/pub/outgoing/jzhang/doc/GBDExpV02.doc). What I like
DGIS is that it uses Eclipse RCP and use Geotools to support projection.

One caution is the library dependences and the size of the package. A quick
search indicated that all the jar files in the SDK total about 60 Megabytes
which may add considerable complexity to any existing system. Another
comment is that, UDIG, just like JUMP is a client mapping package and does
not have many spatial analysis functions.

While UDIG is newer than JUMP, JUMP is more self-contained and all the
libraries it need is less than 4M. I believe it has all the functions you
need. As am example, you may download the old version of the prototype I
have developed and have a quick look.
(ftp://ftp.lternet.edu/pub/outgoing/jzhang/taxonvis/taxonvis.zip). What you
need to do is unzip the downloaded file and go to "lib" directory and run
"runme.bat". All data are included as well.

We may have further discussions for the pros/cons of different GIS systems.
I will provide more comments after I look into the source codes of UDIG.

Thanks again

Jianting