[seek-kr-sms] OBOE discussion: current version

Shawn Bowers sbowers at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jun 22 09:16:16 PDT 2006

> Josh, (and others)
>
> The diagram you sent has some point which makes current version of OBOE
> inconsistent, and it seems that  our design requres a fundamental shift
> towards the Ferdinando's revised version. Plese see my points below.

I am a bit confused here -- and maybe Josh, you can clarify.  My
impression is that OBOE isn't currently changing in this way.  Josh
constructed the diagram to try to mimic / understand / capture
Ferdinando's suggestions.

> Is measurement a kind of observation? The present version of OBOE says
> no.

This is correct.  A measurement (for oboe's purposes anyway) implies there
was an observation, but a measurement in and of itself isn't the
observaton.  (In fact, this implication is *not* a general requirement of
measurements, e.g., in measurement theory and the like statements such as
5 grams or 10 meters are reasonable objects of discussion themselves. As a
simple example, the eml-unit dictionary describes transformations between
such measures, without ever talking about *what* is being measured).

> The  version revised now by  Josh  say yes. (Diagram A in the pdf file Josh
> sent.). This brings us one step close to Ferdinando's proposal which also
> suggest that Observation is a common superclass for such things as
> Measurement, Count, etc.

That is only because Josh was trying to *capture* Ferdinando's suggestion,
not nec. change oboe in this way.

> (Actualli it is AtomicObservation is a common superclass) I agree with
> this proposal, (of Ferdinando and of Josh). Observation should be a
> common supercalss for Measurement, Count, Classification. But the time
> we agreed on that we may need to extensively reconsider some features of
> the current version.

Again, I think this is incorrect.

> For example:
> 1. Let us look carefully at diagram B in the file Josh sent yesterday.
> In this diagram there are attributes characteristic [1,n] and value[1,1]
> which are comon for Classification, Count and Measurement. Those who are
> used to  OOP should shout: they must be moved up to common superclass. The
> one we have is  Observation.
>
> 2. If Classification, Count and Measurement are subclasses of Observation,
> then why would we need the properties measurement(0:n), count(0,n)
> classification (0,1)?
>
> The original intuition behind this is that Observation is asumed to be
> something complex while the subclasses must be simple/atomic act of
> observation.  Unfortunately,  this does not go well with the fact that
> Observation is common superclass of these three.Because in this case the
> properties measurement(0:n), count(0,n) classification (0,1) can be moved
> down to subclasses , that is they will be inherited by  Classification,
> Count and Measurement. Can a classification have attributes
> measurement(0:n), count(0,n) classification (0,1). Can a Measurement have
> attributes measurement(0:n), count(0,n) classification (0,1)? Of cource not.
> So we have to remove attributes (roles, properties) measurement(0:n),
> count(0,n) classification (0,1) from Observation. Alternatively, we may
> refuse the idea of having Observation as superclass of Classification, Count
> and Measurement.

I wouldn't say "refuse" the idea -- I would say that modeling measurement
(and its various types) as observations has some problems --

> But since these three classes have common attributes
> characteristic [1,n] and value[1,1], it would be illogical to refuse this
> one. We need a common superclass, which may hold those common attributes.
>
> 3. In the current version the dichotomy between presumably complex
> Observation and presumably simple Measurement was the way to pack the rows
> of a table together.

I don't really understand what this means.  I think the reason to
distinguish measurement and observation is because they are actually
different things.  In the general setting, one can have observations
independently of measurements, and measurements independently of
observation -- suggesting these are fundamently different entities.

Also, we need to be very careful about talking about data structure when
we talk about oboe.  Not all day is tabular -- and so it is a mistake to
design oboe to only work with data formatted this way.

-shawn