[seek-kr-sms] OBOE discussion: current version

Ferdinando Villa ferdinando.villa at uvm.edu
Thu Jun 22 09:19:26 PDT 2006

The main problem here is again seeing Observation as the event and
Measurement as its result. The discussion below sees Observation as the
record of the event and Measurement, Count, Classification as kinds of such
records. So it should probably be called ObservationRecord - and I guess the
issue is, do we want to ALSO model the perdurant Observation then. My guess
is no - we don't really care about the Observation. So the Observation class
as Shawn sees it is irrelevant to the purposes of OBOE, as the whole
when/how/where is captured as contextual ObservationRecords. We only care
about the record. Am I wrong?

Ferdinando Villa, Associate Research Professor, Ecoinformatics
Ecoinformatics Collaboratory, Gund Inst. for Ecol. Economics and Dept. of
Botany
University of Vermont           http://ecoinformatics.uvm.edu