[seek-kr-sms] OBOE discussion: current version

Serguei Krivov Serguei.Krivov at uvm.edu
Thu Jun 22 06:39:13 PDT 2006

Josh, (and others)

The diagram you sent has some point which makes current version of OBOE
inconsistent, and it seems that  our design requres a fundamental shift
towards the Ferdinando's revised version. Plese see my points below.

Sergey

Is measurement   a kind of observation? The present version of OBOE says no.
The  version revised now by  Josh  say yes. (Diagram A in the pdf file Josh
sent.). This brings us one step close to Ferdinando's proposal which also
suggest that Observation is a common superclass for such things as
Measurement, Count, etc.(Actualli it is AtomicObservation is a common
superclass) I agree with this proposal, (of Ferdinando and of Josh).
Observation should be a common supercalss for Measurement, Count,
Classification. But the time we agreed on that we may need to extensively
reconsider some features of the current version. For example:

1. Let us look carefully at diagram B in the file Josh sent yesterday.

In this diagram there are attributes characteristic [1,n] and value[1,1]
which are comon for Classification, Count and Measurement. Those who are
used to  OOP should shout: they must be moved up to common superclass. The
one we have is  Observation.

2. If Classification, Count and Measurement are subclasses of Observation,
then why would we need the properties measurement(0:n), count(0,n)
classification (0,1)?

The original intuition behind this is that Observation is asumed to be
something complex while the subclasses must be simple/atomic act of
observation.  Unfortunately,  this does not go well with the fact that
Observation is common superclass of these three.Because in this case the
properties measurement(0:n), count(0,n) classification (0,1) can be moved
down to subclasses , that is they will be inherited by  Classification,
Count and Measurement. Can a classification have attributes
measurement(0:n), count(0,n) classification (0,1). Can a Measurement have
attributes measurement(0:n), count(0,n) classification (0,1)? Of cource not.
So we have to remove attributes (roles, properties) measurement(0:n),
count(0,n) classification (0,1) from Observation. Alternatively, we may
refuse the idea of having Observation as superclass of Classification, Count
and Measurement. But since these three classes have common attributes
characteristic [1,n] and value[1,1], it would be illogical to refuse this
one. We need a common superclass, which may hold those common attributes.

3. In the current version the dichotomy between presumably complex
Observation and presumably simple Measurement was the way to pack the rows
of a table together. In the pdf files, where Josh explicatde examples given
by Matt and Mark the attribute C (which, as  Shawn  explained to me means
hasMeasuredCharacteristic)  was used to create n-ary relations. If we refuse
measurement(0:n), count(0,n) classification (0,1), then we have to refuse
hasMeasuredCharacteristic too. If we don't, then Classification and Count
and Measurement will inherit this attribute and we again land in the same
mess. So how do we now create n-ary relation? In Ferdinando's proposal
Observation can be CompoundObservation and AtomicObservation. Later on
Ferdinando took back idea of CompoundObservation, but then what do we have
instead, may be we just need a better name?

4. Personally I like the idea of how Ferdinando's proposal takles dichotomi
between complex (compound) observations and the other things such as Count,
Measurement and Classification. I like his idea of ObservationSpace. What I
do not like is that Observables can be both Entities and Characteristics.  I
think this is an overkill: Entity (thing, object) and Characteristic
(property)  are two fundamental phylosophical categories. Further
generalisation over fundamental phylosophical categories warants a big mess
and missunderstanding.  I will gaet back later with my comments on
Ferdinando's proposal

  _____