[seek-kr-sms] OBOE discussion: current version

Joshua Madin madin at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Jun 21 12:56:31 PDT 2006

Based on the comments this morning I have redrawn the core of oboe
for discussion (attached pdf).  It seems to me that the unit-at-all-
cost framework will greatly simplify what we are trying to deliver
for improving data integration, but, as Ferdinando said, this
framework will be hard to justify and may cause problems down the
line.  In the attached ontology, I've tried to divide the different
notions of "measurement".  All this does is restrict the properties
that can be used on different types of observation.

I've also included "hasProcedure" as a properties that acts on
Observations.  This can also act on Measurements due the the
subsumption hierarchy shown in Figure A.  I think that this is what
Ferdinando meant, but I'm not sure.

Cheers.  BTW: I just received new emails from Ferdinado and Matt --
but I'll send this anyway.
Josh