[seek-kr-sms] KOAN2

Shawn Bowers sbowers at ucdavis.edu
Wed Nov 2 10:35:12 PST 2005

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Ferdinando Villa wrote:

> KAON2 looks impressive. Feature-wise it's probably KAON2 vs.
> Jena+Pellet. The thing that worries me is that only the second
> alternative is open source. If we adopt KAON2 in any "deep" way and they
> choose to go the way Racer has gone, we're screwed. So I suggest that if
> we plan for its adoption, we figure out a design that is as modular as
> possible - e.g. wrapping all ontology API into something that we can
> later switch to another toolkit without changing the Kepler bindings.

Yes. And this is exactly what I am currently doing with the ontology
support and associated tools in Kepler. I have wrapped a set of the Jena
OWL classes so that the underlying system can be easily swapped out.
There is also an Ontology Catalog class that manages these classes, etc.

I think we should definately stay away from non open-source solutions ...
so I should look more closely at the licensing sitatuation.

thanks,

-shawn