[seek-kr-sms] GrOWL Applet

Ferdinando Villa fvilla at uvm.edu
Thu Jan 29 06:04:05 PST 2004

Exactly my point - thanks Bertram for putting it in English. I think what we're
after is a graph representation of a more general ontology model, that
encompasses and transcends an OWL ontology - and is the simple and most
intuitive representation for a nonliterate user to understand. Apart from the
obvious ugliness of OWL constructs (show this to a user and they will never
come back to your site/service), we may not be using OWL forever. I think we
can restrict its role to browsing and printing, which should simplify the task,
and it doesn't need completeness for now - just those constructs that we're
really using. Ideally we should be able to define the necessary transformations
as a "style sheet" that could be changed to accommodate DAML/OIL or whatever -
but it would be enough to have it working for OWL for the time being.

What we need is to define this model, and then find out how to translate them.
Given that OB uses a graph model internally, I don't think it should be that
hard. The graphical mapping looks easy to do for logical operators implied in a
class definition using only isa relationships - "is all of", "is any of", "is
one of" are good intuitive replacements for and, or, xor that can take the
place of the bulky Intersection, Union etc. nodes, and can work for oneOf
restrictions as well - but we need a strategy for other restrictions (something
with a "where", but how do we make it small enough). Cardinalities can just
turn into arrow shapes a la ER diagram. Other ideas? Maybe we can make a
priority list of restrictions that are both likely to see widespread use and
need a more intuitive graphical representation?

Ciao f

Hi everybody: