[seek-kr-sms] GrOWL Applet

Serguei Krivov Serguei.Krivov at uvm.edu
Thu Jan 29 07:49:48 PST 2004

The graphical mapping looks easy to do for logical operators implied in
class definition using only isa relationships - "is all of", "is any
of", "is one of" are good intuitive replacements for and, or, xor that
can take the
place of the bulky Intersection, Union etc.

I agree that Intersection, Union are bulky and should be replaced by
something, but here is a point:
If x belongs to unon of A and B it would be a really good way to specify
that as:
x---is-any-of--->A

         -------->B

But if U is union of A and B (which is common owl construct), then any
drawing like follows would be actually confusing:

U---is-any-of--->A

         -------->B

U--->is-any-of--->A

         -------->B

U<---is-any-of<---A
        /\
         --------B

The same is true about "is any of", "is one of"- they would work well to
represent instances of intersection and disjoint union. But we can not
use those words to link those sets which are the intersecton and the
disjoint unions.

May be we can just use bitmaps and draw the standard symbols ∩ for
intersection and U for union?

serguei