[seek-kr-sms] property restrictions in growl

Rich Williams rwilliams at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Aug 2 21:43:11 PDT 2004

> I have no complains on my end. I have put the example above in a file
> (see attachments). Although I removed the declaration
> <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="objProp"/> I have opened the file in growl
> with no exception , warning or any other complain.
>
> serguei

My mistake, the owl fragment I sent had the object property declaration
embedded in the onProperty statement as well as before the class
declaration, so just removing that one line doesn't remove the property
declaration.  The owl file should have been:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE owl [
<!ENTITY owl  "http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#">
<!ENTITY xsd  "http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema#">
<!ENTITY rdf "http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
<!ENTITY rdfs "http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#">
]>
<rdf:RDF
 xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#"
 xmlns="http://a.com/ontology#"
xml:base="http://a.com/ontology">
<owl:Ontology rdf:about="http://a.com/ontology">
</owl:Ontology>

  <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="objProp"/>
  <owl:Class rdf:ID="Test1">
    <rdfs:subClassOf>
      <owl:Restriction>
        <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="http://a.com/ontology#objProp" />
        <owl:minCardinality
rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#int"
        >2</owl:minCardinality>
      </owl:Restriction>
    </rdfs:subClassOf>
  </owl:Class>

</rdf:RDF>

In this file if you remove the <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="objProp"/>
declaration, you get a warning in OWLAPI and an error in Jena.  Onthe
rendering side of things, there is no way to know whether to save objProp as
an ObjectProperty or DataProperty.

Rich