[seek-kr-sms] property restrictions in growl

Serguei Krivov Serguei.Krivov at uvm.edu
Tue Aug 3 06:32:12 PDT 2004

My mistake, the owl fragment I sent had the object property declaration
embedded in the onProperty statement as well as before the class
declaration, so just removing that one line doesn't remove the property
declaration.  The owl file should have been:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE owl [
<!ENTITY owl  "http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#">
<!ENTITY xsd  "http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema#">
<!ENTITY rdf "http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
<!ENTITY rdfs "http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#">
]>
<rdf:RDF
 xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#"
 xmlns="http://a.com/ontology#"
xml:base="http://a.com/ontology">
<owl:Ontology rdf:about="http://a.com/ontology">
</owl:Ontology>

  <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="objProp"/>
  <owl:Class rdf:ID="Test1">
    <rdfs:subClassOf>
      <owl:Restriction>
        <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="http://a.com/ontology#objProp" />
        <owl:minCardinality
rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#int"
        >2</owl:minCardinality>
      </owl:Restriction>
    </rdfs:subClassOf>
  </owl:Class>

</rdf:RDF>

In this file if you remove the <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="objProp"/>
declaration, you get a warning in OWLAPI and an error in Jena.  Onthe
rendering side of things, there is no way to know whether to save
objProp as
an ObjectProperty or DataProperty.

Rich,
As you know in current version of growl there is no equivalents to such
things as owl:Property or owl:onProperty (yeahh-  I see at least one
difference with owl syntax, but frankly I do not recollect any more).
We have types:
REL_OBJECT_PROPERTY = 3;
REL_DATA_PROPERTY = 4;
REL_OBJECT_PROPERTY_RESTRICT_CARD = 8;
REL_DATA_PROPERTY_RESTRICT_CARD = 12;
REL_DATA_PROPERTY_RESTRICT_SOME = 9;
REL_OBJECT_PROPERTY_RESTRICT_SOME = 5;

Whenever you pick up a restriction node you always know if it is on data
property  or on object property. Therefore the ambiguity as one above
(object prop or data property???) could never emerge during saving growl
graph. So, I do not see why we can not save our   restrictions using
declarations:
<owl:Restriction>
        <owl:onProperty>
          <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="#objProp"/>
</owl:Restriction>

or

<owl:Restriction>
        <owl:onProperty>
          <owl:DataProperty rdf:about="#dataProp"/>
</owl:Restriction>
.

Is there anything in owlapi that would prevent us from saving things
that way?  If we could save things this way then we can open what we
saved with no hassles and the ambiguity  would never emerge in growl
working cycle. If we use files generated by external tools, then it is a
problem of external tools.

Thanks,
serguei